The majority of publishers support the right of authors to make their own
work available online.
To check whether it will be possible to add your journal paper to the repository:
- It may be helpful to read the copyright agreement you signed when you
published your paper.
- If you do not have a copy of the agreement or if the agreement does
not address the question of self-archiving, you may find it helpful to check the
RoMEO database. RoMEO summarises the permissions that are normally
given as part of each publisher's copyright transfer agreement. RoMEO
does not have information on all journal publishers but it is a good place
- The publisher's own web site may give information on self-archiving
permissions for authors.
- If you are unsure of the copyright position, contact WRRO staff
(see the Contact page) for
assistance. In some cases it will be necessary to seek archiving permission
directly from the publisher concerned. If you need to seek permission from your publisher, a request template is available. The repository team can provide further advice and limited assistance. We are a small team and cannot unterake widespread copyright checking but will help where we can. Unfortunately we do not have the resources to assist with copyright checking for pre 2001 publications.
- We may have to embargo some work to fulfil publisher policies but deposit the work in any case - we will make it live as soon as the embargo expires and it will be good publicity for the work in the meantime.
These can often be deposited. If copyright has not been assigned elsewhere, you can deposit your own copy of the work. Otherwise, it may be necessary to contact the publisher of the proceedings.
If you have retained copyright, you should be able to deposit your own version of the work - though it is worth checking the terms and conditions of your publishing agreement. There is no equivalent to the RoMEO database for book publishers so it is difficult to generalise about book chapter archiving. The simplest approach is to send a standard permission email to your book publisher.
Further copyright information is available from http://library.leeds.ac.uk/copyright
Page last updated:
28 April, 2008